Thursday, May 12, 2011

The parade of stuff resumes

Oh boy.

First let me say a few things-
There are some hurt feelings in the comments on the last post. And the last thing I want around here are hurt feelings (I have enough of my own right now to fill us all up, I can assure you of that!). I wholeheartedly believe that it is EXTREMELY important as women to support one another, even when we do not agree with each other's choices. Mothering is the sort of job where one just has to pick a path and then decide to be okay with the path you choose, no matter what might come down the path at you.

But more to the point, this isn't really about giving her cereal (which her ped has okay'ed, but I am not ready to do and he is fine with that). Cereal isn't really dense enough calorically to make her gain weight. I could bore you all to tears by putting on my teacher lady hat and running all the mathematical computations, but I won't. :-)

It was a very long hard road to get Sammi and generally it was a road I was on alone, for a myriad of reasons. But I have been dancing as fast as I can for as long as I can do it and we are at the brick wall at this point.

This has been a particularly hard week as I am alone with the children for the entire week AGAIN and I am staring down the barrel of my 36th birthday (now just two days away) while feeling the hormonal roller coaster that is the joy of being post partum. Let's couple all of that with the fact that I have no real support - no one to watch the children for even a moment, and well, there you find me, on the edge.

I did tell you I had enough hurt feelings to go around, didn't I? LOL.

Anyway. I always appreciate the advice that everyone offers. Whether I choose to follow it or not, it does give me food for thought.

But, more importantly, it is a very good reminder that we have all found ourselves on the road, struggling to find the way up, and forced to make decisions about things when there is no clear right or wrong way to go.

And although it often feels as if I am on this road alone, I CLEARLY am not. I cannot see you there, but there you always are. :-)

Now before I have to change another diaper or go back to the kindergarten to get Jack, how about a look at the rest of the crap I bought last weekend? I did tell you it was a lot!
Love, love, love this little doll high chair and cannot wait to see Sammi playing with it.
Frames for the hall of frames.
Cute little ghosties. (I actually bought a brown bag FULL of halloween die cuts. They are of the 1970's 1980's vintage variety, but there was some cute stuff in there.)
A quilt. Of course.
Love the soft blue polka dots.
A fun mechanical bunny.
Vintage pillow case yardage.
An old bread box which has been put into service in the laundry room to hold extra soap and fabric softener and stuff.

Ornaments! Finally. I bought a big box full of them, but most of them were plain. It was a little sad actually because the box had things written all over it like "grandma and grandpa's ornaments, break them and you die." And yet they sold them at the flea market for a crazy cheap price. Oy.

This looks like a planter box, but it's clean as a whistle. It has a cute shape and I am trying to decide what to do with it. It clearly needs to be holding *something*, but I don't know what.

5 comments:

  1. You find the greatest stuff! I wish I could come out and go thrifting with you!


    My SIL is alone a lot with her three kids while her dh travels. Her savings grace is that a local restaurant has a Tuesday night kids eat free. She goes every week just to get out of the house and not cook.

    I wish there was some sort of "beam me up" machine because I would be there today to spell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the purple pillow case yardage!!! I too am alone quite often as my husbands job doesn't have a "normal" schedule. He works nights a lot - then has to sleep allllllll day long - but then at the end of his rotation he has 7 days off! (which can sometimes be a pain in the butt as well) I am a stay at home mom of 3 - 13 (almost 14) 3 1/2 and 2! The 2 youngest are boys both of which were NICU babies. I struggled majorly with breastfeeding. I had to pump from the start because the NICU was over an hour away from where we lived and I could not be there EVERY day! Which was traumatic enough! The first of my little guys didn't want to latch on at all EVER! I tried everything -even driving an hour to meet with a lactation consultant/nurse - and he just didn't want to work that hard! So eventually I gave up and felt like a terrible mommy and failure! Then my second one took to it right away once the NICU let me start and we did great until for some reason I wasnt' producing enough! He eats, and eats, and eats!!! Still does! So I supplemented, gave him as much breastmilk as I could make and formula to fill in and eventually my body could tell all I was doing was pumping and stopped making it! I was sad because I loved that time between us!

    Good luck and hang in there, trust in the Lord and he will not put in front of you anything that he knows you can't handle! We are SuperWomen!!!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a planter box very similar to that - only mine is covered in purple toile! I use it to store ribbons in my sewing corner.

    My husband travels alot. I know what it's like to not get a break. I know what it's like to deal with a sick or cranky (or both) child. I know what it's like for Daddy to come home wiped out and that child just wants their daddy and you have to navigate that for both of them (without killing the bigger one because you just have NO sympathy because he simply cannot be as tired as you are. Ever.)

    I highly recommend playdates for Jack. And hiring a babysitter, if only for an hour, just because. Even when we can't afford it, we simply can't afford not too. Mommy's sanity has no price....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you seem to find the most amazing things! When you refer to 'yard sales' is that one person having a clear out and the sale takes place at their home, or is it the same as what in the UK call 'car boot sales' where lots of people gather in a field and sell their unwanted bits and bobs from their cars (well actually they set up tables next to their cars). I'm intrigued by how it works across the Atlantic. I'm off carbooting this weekend and can't wait :)
    Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I hear you! I have very little back-up, none when the twins were born. I don't even know how I did it. Thank God they are good nappers.I finally learned to trust my good sense and practicality and that the twins were hearty little people. I put the research away, made the hole in the bottle bigger and poured in the cereal. It stopped the spitting up (buckets) and I have shied away from research ever since.Whatever you decide to do will be right for you and Sammi will grow up just fine...with a lot of great vintage stuff!!! Hang in there. Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?