Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nearing the end of our ordinary days

Jack got a free ticket to six flags as part of a reading program at school, so he and Dave went on Wednesday with some friends of ours. Which meant it was just Sammi and I at home.

And I got a taste of what life will be like every day just 5 short days from now.

I would be liar if I said it didn't freak me out a little. (Which is very unlike me. Usually I am the one partying in the street when my kids hit another milestone.)

The silence was deafening.

I have been listening to Jackson chatter on endlessly all day, every day for more than 6 years now.
So I did what any other sewing mama would do - I sewed away the silence. And I finally have all the asters pieced for Sammi's baby aster quilt.

Now I have to start the hard part - the applique. With circles! Wish me luck.

Jack and Sam have been spending the days playing "roll the ball." It's purely an accident of her poor coordination, but Sammi actually does roll that ball back to him.

I suddenly have a ton of things to do - finish buying school supplies (play-doh again), washing 12 loads of laundry to get ready for the consignment sale, filling out papers for school (mustn't forget the one for the gifted program, which I have now forgotten twice), carting Jack to end of summer play dates, hopefully squeezing in a little fun now that the weather has broken, and a *tiny* bit of crying in my cheerios over Jack finally starting school full time*.

If you don't see me for a few days, you can see why.

*I asked Jack if he was nervous about school all day and his reply? "oh MOM! It is just school!"


8 comments:

  1. School starts her in less than 2 weeks- trying to do a little end-of-summer playdate cramming. It is hard to send them off to school, isn't it? I love your blog, I just looked through the "sewing" label. Such cute projects!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that makes your heart hurt a little (oh the double edge of them growing up), but it's so great that he has that attitude about school. I was ALWAYS nervous for the first day. I really hope that I don't pass that on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids go back on the 29th--I think we're all counting down the days now! Last year when my youngest went off to first grade and my house was empty from 8:30 to 3:15, I had a hard time adjusting. The kids were fine, of course. The letting go is so much harder than I ever thought it would be!

    But you will have Miss Sweet Cheeks to play with--I could eat her up, she's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty quilt circles! I can't believe summer's already coming to a close. I'm not with my kids during the day, even in summer, so I'm not ready for the school routine to start yet (neither are they). I just wish summer could go on forever...

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute cute cute... love the quilt circles and them playing is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you, as Maren starts a week from Monday. I used to dream of the day when she'd be OUT OF MY HAIR all day long, and now I can hardly stand the thought of it! It's going to be awfully lonely around here, both for me and for Little Brother.

    Pretty quilt pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain! But as someone who has been there, done that -- you will find a new normal. And it will likely include great crafting during naptime before that bus pulls up. And summers will take on new meaning. My oldest will start 4th grade in 2 weeks, and I am dreading it, but it means a little more quality time with my 20-month-old twins. Good luck, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I just found you wandering around my favorite blogs

    anyway love your old spools I have a few jars also and posted about them this week

    I have gobbs of items trying to clean out from my collections and my Moms

    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?