Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One of those days

It's been one of those days.

A dear friend from high school has cancer (he has two very little boys and I am just devastated for him and his family).

Sammi is sick (thanks to the VERY sick child who was crowded into a non air conditioned gym that was so crowded it was standing room only and who would NOT stop touching the baby).

Jack is argumentative (about every little thing today).

I lose blog followers constantly no matter what I do/don't blog about, no matter how often I do/don't blog.

I have a headache.

It's hot (so sick of 100 degrees).

I am sad for Jack, who asks me every day when they are going to teach him something at school. (He wants to learn "social studies and division with decimals". Instead they teach him how to raise his hand for social studies and have him play with blocks for "math".)

I had to yell at the neighbor kids for trying to knock the stop sign down at 8 am.

Sammi has puked about 100,000 times today (all over me, all over the rug, all over her toys).

You know what kept me happy today?

Sweet cheeks.

Even if she was sick and snotty and not her usual happy baby self.

(I am determined to take a photo of her in every last one of her sweet summer dresses before summer is over. Her being sick might put a little glitch in that plan.)

10 comments:

  1. I feel your blog pain Sarah. I think people are just moving on to facebook and twitter and whatever. Ewwww. I totally don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Jack could tell his teacher what he wants to learn and thus clue her into how bright he is. Seems like she could move him on from blocks pretty easily. I was hoping she would be calling you by now to tell you that she wants a gifted conference.

    For a sick baby- she sure is adorable!

    As for the blog... I read your blog because I like it- just the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog! I don't comment often, but your blog is one of the only ones I follow that I stop and read every new post rather than skimming. I don't know what it is, but I just love reading your posts! I hope Jack learns something at school and Sammi feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I don't comment much, but I'm still here. I get so frustrated with school (is Jack in public?) My Ella is also gifted (maybe not as much as Jack). She read at the 4th grade level in 1st grade and read like a fiend over the summer. She is excellent at math. I got her (and my younger son) a private tutor for the summer to keep up with academics and prevent summer brain drain. I will not make it easier on the teachers. I just will not. My smart kids will not be dumbed down by schooless summers. She is not challenged at school and when I bring it up I am told not to worry, she is doing fine. I KNOW she is doing "fine", but I want her to be challenged. For now I think the teachers are waiting for the other kids to catch up to the gifted kids. Meanwhile we will just supplement at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it's time for Jack to skip a grade or two! I'd voice my concerns to the principal, and if he doesn't listen, then I'd go to the school board. . .maybe channeling Julia Sugarbaker in the process....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh...poor sick sweet cheeks...and tired mommy. hope all feel better soon! i read your blog all the time...don't always comment and just realized that i, for some weird reason, was not a follower. fixed that! sometimes i think that bloggers are just unpredictable...my blog is 4 years old...i hardly ever post any more and still have 82 followers...whoops...did i just loose some??? happy wednesday! *e*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jack, did you try testing him into a higher grade. I know they dismiss that most of the time but it can really prove beneficial for a few kids like Jack. Oh sweet Sammi with those smiles and she feels sick...what a gift. I can't tell you how many times I have told my kids..."I need a moment." Walk a few steps out of the room and just take a deep breath. Really only helps for a second but its better than nothing! Smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jessica - I read each and every post you put up - but I don't respond that often!! Sweet cheeks gives me my baby fix!!! She is such a peanut!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't want to move Jack up a grade (it can be hard socially), how about just in Math? In first grade, my son would go to the second grade class for his Math. It was a parochial school though, but it is a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooo don't be disheartened about your blog, I LOVE the fact that I can check most days and there'll be a new post from you - I don't follow many blogs at all and those I do are on a go slow right now. Your's cheers me right up! I suspect you need a new makeover style project to get your teeth into!! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?