Tuesday, November 29, 2011

From thrift store garland to new front door wreath

Lately I have been admiring these rugs on pinterest that are made from felt balls.

There is something about their perfect round shape that appeals to me I suppose.
Yesterday when Sammi and I were attempting to thrift up a fake green Christmas tree* I spotted a bag full of this garland for $1.50. I snatched it right up because it reminded me so much of those felt balls. (These are actually thread covered balls, like those old satin ornaments, but not satin.)
Then I cut the garlands apart and set about hot gluing a million of them to a wreath.
Et voila! A new front door wreath.

It wasn't working out as I had planned, and I had serious fears of another craft fail.

But this?

This is no craft fail.

Adorable!

*We usually buy a live tree for our "family" ornaments on Christmas Eve. But since I have no tree in the windows for other people to see this year, I decided I would just put the green tree up here in the office window so it could be seen from the street. (Jack INSISTS that the white trees are not "real" and we MUST have a green one.) But I don't want to try and keep a live tree alive that long. Holy SMOKES fake green trees are 1) ugly (to me) 2) all prelit (aka pain in the rumpus) 3) EXPENSIVE. I have no clue what I am going to do about this problem. LOL

** The white tree is already up and done!

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous wreath. I'd be super proud of that creation too! Best wishes with the hunt for the perfect green tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wreath too. For some reason, my thrifts always put the trees out very close to Christmas. Maybe people buy new ones and donate them late, I don't know. But, it makes thrifting a tree difficult. (Our Goodwill did have several yesterday though.....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wreath turned out great!! You are always lucky with your thrift finds... I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that wreath! You are inspiring as always! Must go out searching for more things to do...

    Oh, and regarding the tree thing, we've found that cutting your own tree is one of the best ways to make sure that it lasts through the holiday season (although cutting one here in Baltimore didn't turn out so well - I don't think it was very healthy). We cut ours over Thanksgiving weekend and it lasts until the Epiphany. I don't know if that is an option out your way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that wreath! So, so cute. Last year I learned to make felt balls. They are HARD. Much harder than you would think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's bee-you-ti-ful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. re: the tree...

    We always get a real tree. My husband is a real tree fanatic. But since I have this two toddling twins running around right now, I persuaded him to go the fake route this year. He's not thrilled, but it's so much easier than watering and needles and sap and the possibility of all that tipping over. I was lucky enough to find a nice "blue spruce" sort of fake tree, prelit with 1,000 white lights, and I love it. It looks pretty real and it has the million lights that I want! I don't know if I'd ever go back to the live tree thing now... This is so much easier and cleaner!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?