Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Well timed

Yesterday I was browsing the internet while Dave and Jack undecorated the outside of the house, and I came across this post from Meg .

Obviously it couldn't have come a better time for me. She perfectly expressed every single thought that was in my head yesterday and I used that as a well timed sign that it was time to drop the must do's and do something else.

So I made beards for the kids Christmas photos. (I planned to try and take them today when it is going to be 75 degrees for the last time a while, or so says the weatherman. But Cheeks is sick again and I am not sure it's going to work.)
Then I thought I would take a photo of something I hung up in the bathroom and meant to show you weeks ago.

I thought perhaps it was a teensy bit insane to hang a faux painting (it's a print) above the tub when I asked Dave to do it. In the end I have decided I really quite like it there.
It was the bee that made me buy it at Goodwill. Do you see him there?

And since I was already feeling the Meg love, I made a treasure basket for Sammi with some stuff from around the house too.

She took out the big metal spoon and the squash and is ignoring the rest. (Do you suppose she will EVER get teeth? Nearly 10 months old and not a tooth in sight.)

Now I am off to work on a project that has been on my counter for at least two months.

Progress is slow, but it's happening.

Right after I change another diaper. Only 5 minutes after I put a clean one on her. Thanks cheeks. LOL

4 comments:

  1. late teeth have an advantage ( I think) ...they loose their baby teeth later and have more room! #2 didn't get teeth till she was a year... she gummed everything to death for at least 2 months... including steak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a lot of time being a solo parent lately too. Quin is training for an Ironman triathlon and so every spare moment he's not at work, he's off on 100-mile bike rides or 2-mile swims or 12-mile runs. Or he's at the physical therapist, or gym, or chiropractor getting his body worked on. Which means I haven't had a Saturday morning to go thrifting or estate saleing or anything BY MYSELF in months and months.

    On top of that Maren was sick and missed school for 4 days, then we had a week of Fall Break (during which we went out of town without Daddy, so I solo-parented then too). Then Monday she came home from school early, and today is a snow day so she's home all day again. So I haven't even been getting my precious 2 kidless hours during Porter's naptime. And they've both been sick on and off, so my sleep at night has been seriously diminished.

    I've about had it too. I was having a particularly bad mommying day a few weeks ago, and felt SO resentful of my kids, for keeping me from doing all the things I really wanted to be doing and needed to be doing. What I was too selfish to realize is that raising them IS what I NEED to be doing, even if it's not always what I WANT to be doing. Sometimes I have a very hard time remembering that.

    But it's a hard balance to strike, because laundry still needs to be done, and I think I still deserve to have hobbies, and food needs to be bought & cooked, etc. etc. I can't just toss my to-do list forever or nothing will ever get done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back when I first decided to walk away from having it all (Career and mommyhood), a very dear friend told me, it's okay, in fact, very acceptable to have days where you have nothing to show for them.

    That very dear friend also came over and spent days sitting with me teaching me how to do just that. I think it's one of the best gifts anyone every gave me. It wasn't as hard as I thought either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on two kids being quadruple the work - and being incredibly thankful for both of them, but WOW. Just wow.

    In happier thoughts, my mother has that same print over her bed - hers was her grandmother's, and she rescued it and had it reframed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?