Friday, December 09, 2011

Finally Finished Friday - the Hankie Quilt

It has taken me about 4 times as long as it should have, but I have finally finished the hankie quilt.
It is NOTHING like the one I was lusting after on pinterest and I am still not sure how I feel about that.

I ended up sewing the hankies to white fabric to reinforce them a bit. They are very thin and fragile.

And then I couldn't sew them together without some sashing because I felt like it was ending up way too wonky. They are all different sizes and they all have different edges etc.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd now that I am looking at it I see that I didn't bother to get all the hankies facing the same way! Argh.
I sewed a button in the middle of each square to "tie" the quilt instead of quilting it a lot.
It is really soft at least, and Sammi likes to pet it.

This is my favorite square.

A BIG BIG thank you to everyone that sent hankies so I could make it happen!

*I really thought it was going to take 24 hankies like the pinterest photo. Her quilt is CLEARLY crib sized and 24 hankies would have been HUGE. I have some left over and I think I am going to make Sammi a matching doll quilt.

Once I get over the drama of making this one, that is. LOL

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful..I love all the little touches. Might just have to try this myself. Smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, it's really, really pretty! I love it. I can imagine that hankies would be really hard to sew with, since they're so thin and hard to keep square. The quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks FABULOUS, Sarah!!! So glad you could put my hankies to good use! FYI--all the hankies I sent you, plus the 15 or so purple-esque ones I pulled out for my grandmother, and a few red and white ones I kept for a Valentine's Day photo shoot....plus this really cool WWII era silk 48 star flag pillow case thing was $1.00 at a yard sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm completely smitten. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! I'm was surprised when I saw the buttons, because I don't think I've ever seen that before. I have been milling over a quilt using my father-in-laws shirts, and that might be cute with the shirt buttons. Aren't you afraid Cheeks will pull them off or naw on them? And I thought of you yesterday because I actually saw some quilts at an "estate" sale. They were two priced at $45 a piece. And I'm not sure they were even old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute! i am pretty sue I have enough hankies around to make a couple :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?