Thursday, December 22, 2011

Still making for Christmas

I can't believe I am still trying to make things for Christmas!

Jack has been asking me to make some books for him. He loves making books right now. I did some googling and stumbled on this tutorial at the Small object that seemed doable. (Bonus point for the supplies being readily available on Amazon or in my sewing room already.)


They turned out super cute, even if I did have to use a little duct tape because my chip board was too thick to sew through.
I also added a label on the front for his titles.
Now he has a stack of "wimpy kid sized" books of his own for under the tree.

When I was in the basement doing some sorting I realized that once again we could not fit ANY THING in the vintage stockings we have been using for several years. They are cute, but SMALL.

A few weeks ago I fell in L-O-V-E with these vintage junky stockings . So I set out to make us a set.

Except I could NOT find any clip art that was similar to what she has made, and I was getting frustrated.
I had an idea that was either going to include 1) candy colored fabric or 2) each stocking in a different vintage print. But when I went to Joann this keepsake calico jumped in the cart and refused to get out. Even when I tried to swap it with more of the DS Quilts fabric I love.

And it is perfect. The color is awesome with the glass tiles on the fireplace and the design is snowflakey.
I thought I was "settling" on the silhouettes, but really I didn't settle at all. They are wonderful. This is Jack's stocking.
And Sammi's.
See how they work together? Him pulling her on the sled.
Santa for Dave.
And Mrs. Claus for me.
Kissing!


Totally worth the eight hours it took me yesterday to make them. (Sewing on those intricate designs was crazy slow.)


Now onto making some things for Cheek's first birthday!


P.S. I will be opening the heart to heart swap sign ups between Christmas and New Years. I will leave it open until New Year's Day. If there are more than 14 interested I will do a lottery drawing for the spots this year. If you want in, don't forget to check back in/add me to your reader/etc!




7 comments:

  1. Love the books and the stockings. I was hoping you'd be hosting a heart-to-heart swap. I'm already plotting several ideas. Can't wait to sign-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing with your sewing talents! With all that is going on at your house, I admire your drive to do even more. Making memories for your kids is so important.
    Hope you are feeling better.
    All the best to you and your family this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stockings! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of material did you use for the stockings? I’ve made books before, but I hadn’t seen this tutorial. I think the tutorial I had used a premade decorative tape or something which I didn’t have. Making fabric tape seemed like it would be too hard so I just left mine plain. This looked pretty simple though, and your books turned out great! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are killing me with all you are getting done! Are you sleeping at all? For heavens sake you are making us look bad...just kidding...These are darling...MErry Christmas...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stockings! Can't wait for Heart to Heart! While you're Christmasing, check out my Christmas music 2011 post--I linked downloads to some recordings of me playing Christmas tunes on piano and organ!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?