Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A tale of two bottles


Getting Sammi to take a bottle has pretty much been a nightmare from day one.

People who have tried to give her a bottle or watched us try to give her a bottle have remarked on how insanely WIGGLY she is, how much she fights it.

I've mentioned she won't hold it, but she has to be distracted while drinking too. She must have something to play with, you can only be in her room in the dark, she has to be in a certain position etc.

At nearly 1 year I am still spending a good 3 hours a day battling a mere 16 ounces of formula into her belly.

A few days ago my girlfriend mentioned a semi-local dairy - Oberweiss. We used that exclusively for Jack, but since we moved it isn't as convenient anymore.

Sammi and I went to Joann this morning so we stopped at the dairy and bought her some whole milk.

Now. I am a rule follower. She isn't one yet. She should be drinking that blasted formula.

But I am tired of fighting this bottle battle.

Tonight I poured 7 ounces of cow milk into that bottle on the left. (The one on the right is what the bottles usually look like after 45 minutes of arguing about drinking milk.)

Within 15 minutes it was IN HER BELLY. With no fighting. No need to play with toys. No shoving it away. No spitting it out. She laid in my arms, guzzled the milk and went off to her to bed to go to sleep.

Praise the cows!

*Also, lest anyone think I am some sort of baby torturer, I have read the sleep books, I have done the check and console thing, I still hold her plenty! (I still wear her in the moby wrap too). I am old school about kids and sleep. I believe very strongly that sleep = growing brains. I believe that kids need routine and structure. (And let's be honest, *I* need routine and structure too.) I am just not "crunchy" enough to get up with her a bazillion times a night for the next 4 years. If she is sick or needs me, sure. But just for grins? Yea, no thanks. I could almost buy the pain thing, but poor Jack had very bad reflux that was untreated for 6 months and he was (and is) a very good sleeper. This "self soothing" is most definitely a personality difference. I think it might be time to introduce an attachment object, aka the "dandy" (in Jack's world)....

7 comments:

  1. Sammi, I don't blame you. Have you ever tasted formula, Sarah? Blech! ;^) I am with you on the sleep thing, and I think you are on the right track. She needs regular sleep, there's no physical/primal reason for her not to sleep. I am a huge advocate for wubbies/comfort objects. I come from a long line of lovey-users and both my kids did. You might have good luck getting her to use one if it starts with Jack and gets a little of him on it, then he gifts her with it as a bedtime treat. You might also try having him be the one who says the final goodnight and walks out of her room. I'm not saying he has to put her to bed, but they could read a book together. He will have a different emotional response to the separation and the novelty might be enough to "Make a new tape." She knows she has you 24/7, you are always and will always be there for her. She is securely attached. So you don't need to have any qualms about bedtime toughlove. Especially when you think of the payoff! I'm cheering all the way for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Hope. I bet she hated the taste of the formula. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that she likes the milk. When I was a kid, I hated juice and milk, even kool aid! Finally, they let me drink water (got calcium and vitamin D other ways). Even now, I only drink diet coke and water. I can't explain why, just don't like drinking certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have thought....God bless the milk and the comfort she now feels. Sleep well sweet Cheeks....smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. She might be worried she'll miss out on something. I know that's why my girl fights sleep, as does her father. They both will sit up late at night because they are afraid they'll miss something.
    Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she is enjoying the whole milk! If you are really concerned about her taking in some formula, our ped. suggested mixing formula powder into yogurt or into smoothies. But I think that she is close enough to 1 to be fine without it, considering how well she eats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, just so you know, my 14 month old never had formula of any kind & i have given him table food from about 9 months on (when he got teeth)& that included milk. the pediatrician has told us that yes babies hate formula especially if they have been breastfed first. my Levi had whole milk early too & it didnt hurt him. but she is almost 1 right? so no big deal. and you can find it without all the growth hormones in it...walmart & sams club sell it without the growth hormones. we only buy whole milk. the fat is good for their brain development. and i have to agree with Hope too....a little tough love at bedtime will go a long way. but goodness, who am i to judget, it's 2:06AM & it's still early for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, just so you know, my 14 month old never had formula of any kind & i have given him table food from about 9 months on (when he got teeth)& that included milk. the pediatrician has told us that yes babies hate formula especially if they have been breastfed first. my Levi had whole milk early too & it didnt hurt him. but she is almost 1 right? so no big deal. and you can find it without all the growth hormones in it...walmart & sams club sell it without the growth hormones. we only buy whole milk. the fat is good for their brain development. and i have to agree with Hope too....a little tough love at bedtime will go a long way. but goodness, who am i to judget, it's 2:06AM & it's still early for me!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?