Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chicago land flea marketing

One of the things I most enjoy when we go to Chicago is the flea. It's huge and it always treats me well.

Since junking has been so bleh here this year I was especially looking forward to it.

But I only got to do about half of it this year. Sam was COMPLETELY refusing to sit in her stroller and ramping up to a huge temper tantrum, I was hot and needing to sit down and Jackson was starting to complain endlessly because he wanted to go to the Lego place.

I am still a little :-( that I didn't get to finish it.

C'est la vie.

A few things I bought that morning here in town before we left first:

I thought this prize ribbon would be fun for Halloween. (HURRY Halloween!)
This one is already pretty.
And this one had an interesting flower in the center.
I am always happy to find a fistful of old millinery flowers.

On to Chicago stuff:

More old books.
I have been stalking these forever on Ebay.
I am going to have to seriously start to think about where on earth I am going to put the dollhouses at this point.
The kids are enjoying this toy. (Jack LOVES harmonicas, even cheesy plastic ones!)
And this was a bit of a gamble. She had two cardboard boxes filled with ornaments. Each box was $20. Now, ordinarily I would stand there and count and make sure there were enough ornaments I was interested in to make the price even out to $1/ornament (which is the going rate around here now). But Sam was having a TOTAL fit. I tried to bargain her down farther, but I could only get her to take $35 for both boxes. Each box was only about half full of stuff I wanted, the other was satin wrapped balls and stuff.

So I took the chance since I knew we were leaving NOW.

It turns out there are exactly 35 ornaments worth keeping.

Not a huge score, but since I never buy ornaments anymore, it was worth it.

I did buy a fair amount of fabric, which deserves it's own post tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. You really did very well. Love your latest haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. $1/ornament seems like the going price here, too. I think it's reasonable. 2. I want one of those barns. 3. Can't tell you the last time I saw millinery flowers. 4. Looking forward to the fabric, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ribbons are divine!! And I think your price for those lovely ornaments worked out well. I have been to the CT flea a few times this summer but hardly see any Christmas that isn't those hideous blow molds. Poo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE those prize ribbons! The cat one is totally perfect for Halloween, and the other two are so pretty. Love the fancy flower on the last one.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?