Monday, October 08, 2012

Grant's Baby Quilt

About 4 hours before the great pukefest of 2012 struck me, I was sitting at the sewing machine finishing the piecing on what should be known as "the world's most expensive baby quilt ever*". (And wondering why on earth it felt like I was trying to run a marathon instead of sew. Sewing should not involve sweat. LOL I should have known something was wrong then! D'oh.)
 
 Then I brought it to our room and hung it on the quilt cabinet because I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. (And there it has sat for more than a month now. And I still am undecided, despite looking at it every day.)
 It's my version of that wildly pinned pennant quilt.  But I can't decide if I need a strip of a solid colored aqua fabric just above the pennants or not. You know, like the string the pennants would be strung on.  The original doesn't have that, but this one seems so very white or something?
Sometimes looking at a picture of it helps.

I like it a lot better in these photos than I do staring at it.

What say you?  Applique a thin aqua strip? Or start quilting the bugger. (You know in my spare time. BWHAHAHAHA.)

*I bought organic fabric for the pennants. It was nearly $75. Then there is the cost of solid kona. Another $10 or so. Plus I still need batting. And more kona for the back. I am pretty sure this darn thing will be more than $125 in materials when I am done.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree that it needs a strip of something above the pennants. Finish it and enjoy it. And don't look back at the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!
    Not sure about adding to it...sounds Ike more work~but if you think you should..do it. No regrets!
    I always smile when I see you have posted!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start quilting it and use pearl embroidery thread to do a colorful big stitch hand quilting above the pendants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, but I think a strip would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm voting for the stripe, too. And I think it is worth every penny you've spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stripe.
    And considering the price of fabrics and more these days, that's really not bad for a new, made by you quilt. I know it would have been cheaper for me to buy my husband a sweater instead of knitting it for him, but I'm doing it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Add a narrow strip for a clothes line and change the white strips in between so that the pennants do not hang parallel... more like clothes lines one used to see between buildings in cities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well once again I missed a big event in blogland. Congratulations on the birth of Grant! What a sweet family you have, Sarah!
    I vote for the aqua "string" of fabric, but otherwise it's perfection. I would love to make one of these, but I made myself stop quilting long ago because I was just so horrible at it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?