Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Big flower quilt

When Sammi started sleeping with a piece of that mermaid yardage I knew it was meant to be a new quilt for her. My original plan was just a super simple square pattern. But as I was trolling pinterest I came across a flower sketch that I liked.  I think it was probably meant to be for small blocks, but I really wanted to feature that mermaid fabric.
 
I started by printing out the flower on a regular sheet of copy paper. Then I colored it again and again until I got the color placement I wanted for the petals.
 
Dave helped me set up a projector so I could trace the picture onto a roll of butcher paper to make my "Oh my word these are huge!"
pattern pieces.
 
 Then I went to town appliqueing them on.
 I had no quilting in plan in mind for the white space and was really bummed when Joann was out of warm and natural batting (which allows me to quilt 10 inches apart.) I had to buy some rose something other which says you need to quilt it 6 inches apart.
 To fix that problem I made three lines following the shape of the petal on each petal.


Then I just did some loosey goosey free motion quilting in the white space following the edges of the petals. (My first time for that kind of quilting!)

The binding was the last big challenge. It was the day we were snowed in and there was no way I could get to Joann for more fabric. I didn't like any of the other fabrics I used in the quilt on the edge and Dave suggested a solid teal, which I don't have in the stash. So I just went with the mermaids. They were the reason for the quilt, might as well use more of them.

It was the right choice. I love them on the edge.

Actually, I love the whole quilt. It is very different from anything else I have made, and so much more modern than what I would usually do, but it definitely has won me over.

Now to let Sammi actually touch it so it can be loved!

12 comments:

  1. It turned out great!!! I bet she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's amazing. Good job Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FANTASTIC!! Sarah, it is a beautiful quilt, you did a fabulous job.
    I'm right with Sammi, I love the mermaid fabric too. I finally found some at my Joans after three different outings, it's not flannel but cotton. I bought it, despite my 15 yr old asking what I was going to do with it. I told her that I don't know but I had to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressed! I bet Sammi will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Sammi~beeUtiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sammi's quilt turned out great, the pattern you found is really different and shows off all the fabrics well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT is beautiful! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! Can you make me one, too? I love mermaids. :) No really, it is gorgeous. And I love the mermaid binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet! And cheery! Reminds me of zinnia petals. I think you were fortunate that the Warm & Natural was OOS, the quilting turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?