Big flower quilt
When Sammi started sleeping with a piece of that mermaid yardage I knew it was meant to be a new quilt for her. My original plan was just a super simple square pattern. But as I was trolling pinterest I came across a flower sketch that I liked. I think it was probably meant to be for small blocks, but I really wanted to feature that mermaid fabric.
I started by printing out the flower on a regular sheet of copy paper. Then I colored it again and again until I got the color placement I wanted for the petals.
Dave helped me set up a projector so I could trace the picture onto a roll of butcher paper to make my "Oh my word these are huge!"pattern pieces.
The binding was the last big challenge. It was the day we were snowed in and there was no way I could get to Joann for more fabric. I didn't like any of the other fabrics I used in the quilt on the edge and Dave suggested a solid teal, which I don't have in the stash. So I just went with the mermaids. They were the reason for the quilt, might as well use more of them.
It was the right choice. I love them on the edge.
Actually, I love the whole quilt. It is very different from anything else I have made, and so much more modern than what I would usually do, but it definitely has won me over.
Now to let Sammi actually touch it so it can be loved!