Thursday, May 02, 2013

Canvases and Blog 2 Print

(Nothing here is a paid advert, it's all me.)
 If you spend any time on the internet you probably know that canvas people is always offering free 8 x 10 canvases. I never buy one because I never seem to have a photo of the kids ready when the deal is on.  But when I saw the deal was on again the other day I had an idea. I have two special pieces of paper I keep - one is the note above from my grandpa and the other is a handwritten apple pie recipe from my "adopted" grandma. I took a picture of the note on top of a piece of feedsack I like and had it turned into an 8 x 10 canvas. Now I can enjoy that note every single day instead of it hiding in a box in the closet.

  I will say this though - I had canvases made at Christmas time as presents and I used mypix2canvas instead of canvas people. There is ZERO comparison between the two canvases. The one from mypix2canvas is GORGEOUS.  This is one is fine for this, but I don't think I would have been happy with it if it were the kids photo.
I also recently made the third year of the blog into a book. I did the first two years on Blurb*, and I love those books. They are GORGEOUS. And perfect. BUT (and it's a huge but), you have to sit there and edit every.single.page.  I tried for a month to do it, but I just can't. And because the blog is really my kids' scrapbook, I am scared of losing everything here, so I really wanted to get it all printed.

So this time I used blog2print**.
It slurps up my blog in like ten minutes and then it is ready to print. Score for ease of use? 10.

It looks nice enough, it's not as beautiful as blurb. Score for appearance? 8.
Every year of my blog ends up making a 300 page book. Cost? $130+. Score for cost? 5. (Blurb was about $80 for a hardcover.)

Here is my one big complaint - unless you choose the option to put a page break between every post you cannot edit the pages at all. So a lot of the entries have the title at the bottom of the previous page. It's ugly. But using page breaks would have made it too large to bind in one book, therefore doubling the price. Also, I didn't like that there was no white option for the cover. And all the photos print in one size, in blurb you can change each photo. Option score? Eh, 6.

But since I have 4 more years (and am one month away from the fifth year being complete) to print, ease of use wins out every time for me right now.

Yes, 8 years of blogging.  Whoa.

Right now I am hoping to use money made from starting to sell off the baby stuff as we are done with it to keep getting them printed.

And one other piece of business quickly as the littles are waking up - google reader is going bye bye soon. I looked and looked and looked for a replacement. The one I like the best is called "theoldreader." It's nearly identical to google reader. Just in case you don't like bloglovin' or feedly (which everyone seems to be pimping). (Bloglovin' makes you visit every single blog to read the entry, ain't nobody got no time for that.)

*If you search the old blog here for blurb you can see the other books.

**Blog2print does have a referral program, if you want to use it shoot me an email and I will email you a referral. I do get credit for those and it would help me finance the million pages of blog books I still need to make. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the tip on "the old reader"! I was not liking Bloglovin, was just going over there occasionally to mark all the posts as read, but still using Google Reader and dreading the day it disappeared. Thanks again for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your canvas idea! How cool would it be to take a photo of an old handwritten recipe card on a pretty background like yours? That would make for some awesome kitchen art. Or even an old love letter or something? You've got me thinking!

    I'm going to check out that blog reader you mentioned. I don't want to do anything where I have to click to the entire blog to read each post. That's why I use a reader in the first place, duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your canvas idea! How cool would it be to take a photo of an old handwritten recipe card on a pretty background like yours? That would make for some awesome kitchen art. Or even an old love letter or something? You've got me thinking!

    I'm going to check out that blog reader you mentioned. I don't want to do anything where I have to click to the entire blog to read each post. That's why I use a reader in the first place, duh!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?