Thursday, June 20, 2013

Flea Market stuff and baggage

It's not Sunday, or even Monday, but I did buy some stuff at the flea this weekend.

Old picture frames.
With Valentine sayings. You will see these again for the heart to heart swap I think.
Rosey picture frame for the hall of frames.
A new old stock baby hat from the 1920s with the original price tag. It barely fits Grant and I am hoping it will make an appearance on him in a 4th of July photo.
A wedding ring quilt top.
With bright gold fabric. Which is sort of a weird choice given her rings, but whatever. Look at that novelty print!
I have been selling a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. Mostly baby stuff. I have made enough money to print two years of the blog into books and I am well on the way to printing another year. I will only be two years behind when I get that one done. I want to get all 8 years done by the end of the summer.

That's an important goal for me because this little blog is my scrapbook, my kid's baby books, and I want to be sure they have access to it should anything ever happen to this space on the internet.

Selling some of this stuff is hard to do. Some of it I have been holding onto since Jack was born. Until about 2 hours before Grant was born I was  not sure we were done having kids. Now that he is here our house fills full. Our lives feel full. And I have that stupid arthritis that makes diapers and car seats hard some days. And the pelvic issues. (Which I would ignore for another baby if it weren't for all the other things, FWIW.)

But wrapped up in each one of those things - from the exersaucer to the swaddling blankets to the boppy pillows - is a hot mess of PTSD from Jack's babyhood and PTSD from infertility and PTSD from pelvic organ prolapse and and and...

And because I am the surveying type I talk to everyone about how do you know when you are done? It seems like a lot of women think about the mythical unicorn - just one more. And then I read something last week that said most families have one more child than they can actually adequately care for. (Interesting isn't that?) Four would have maxed us out in many ways. No more patience for doing that pregnancy/newborn/have to have them very close together because of fertility again.

But there is always that nagging sister for Sam feeling...

How about you?

4 comments:

  1. If you wait awhile you'll know. A sister for Sammi is not a good enough reason to have another... you might get a boy too!
    I have three- a boy, then two girls. As #3 became a toddler, life just got too hectic and the thought of starting all over was daunting. If you don't feel that way when Grant is a toddler and you don't cringe at the possibility of another boy.... then think about #4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two kids, a boy and a girl. Up until my daughter was two, I was wanting to add a third baby to the mix. But, Maddie turned out to be a little more of a handful than I expected. She wasn't a bad kid by any means. Just busy....very, very busy. There was no way that I could give the time to a new baby and my older son. So we stopped at two. That said, now I'm having tiny little regrets here and there but only because my kids are growing up so fast! Maddie is going to be starting middle school in the fall and Alex turns 17 today. I would give anything to have them young again like Jack, Sammi, & Grant. You are so lucky and if you are blessed with another baby then that's awesome. If not, you are already blessed with the amazing bunch you have:-)

    As they say, time will tell~

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I was done when I held my niece and I was ready to give her back to her mother. I have 2 boys ages 9 and 10 and a little girl that just turned two and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I was done when I held my niece and I was ready to give her back to her mother. I have 2 boys ages 9 and 10 and a little girl that just turned two and a half.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?