Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Grinchmas

I am feeling so super grinchy this year.

The two little kids mean I have very, very little Christmas stuff around the house.

The budget this year means I have had to very, very carefully plan for everything and there is nothing for any extras. And it means I have had to wait until the last minute to get it all done since I needed every paycheck to do it.

Other than the star tree, I only decorated the mantel.

I put up the stockings and some of the village.



Way back before the herd of kids, Dave and I always used to go buy a live tree on December 23rd at this deli near the house. We waited until the last minute because the trees are dirt cheap before they become landfill. 

We haven't done it for a few years now, but yesterday I noticed that the produce stand guy had a sign up saying he was closing today until Feb and everything was going at blow out prices today. I decided it was a sign to get a live tree again. I was having a hard time figuring out where the kids were going to open presents since our tree is in the hallway (LOL) anyway.

When I went by there at 11 am the whole tree lot was empty already! Bah humbug. Tried several places in town and no cheap trees.

In desperation we went to home depot where they have loads of trees left. I tell the kid at home depot I need him to mark the tree for me (sweetly of course) and after some blah blah about how they can't do that, he marked down the tree for me and off we went. I was starting to feel less Grinchy! A tree! in the house!
And then ten minutes later Sammi did this.

Sigh. I had just told her to NOT TOUCH THE TREE OR THE WATER!
So Dave had to screw my tree down to a huge ugly plywood base which is on top of nasty, ratty old blankets to keep it from ruining the floor.

Merry Grinchmas to me.
This is a craptacular photo, but it is pretty.
I used the (non breakable since I am sure the tree will tip over again any moment now) snowflakes from our first Christmas here and some silver garland. They have actually painted the tree white so its sort of a frosty green color.


I think of our first Christmas here every year. The simplicity of the roses and the snowflakes when the house was clean! LOL

I know this is ALL TEMPORARY but it really does not feel like Christmas to me at all this year.

Bring on the new year.

:-)

6 comments:

  1. That little girl is a terror sometimes! Hope screwing it to the plywood base does the trick. Another holiday memory..next year will be a totally different thing to deal with! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those stockings to death! So super cute!

    Luckily I don't have to worry about toddlers, just the cats. They are bad enough! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our daughter was little she pulled the tree over so many times that we finally set it up in the playpen which she had outgrown. That kept the dog from eating the strung popcorn off the tree too. Now she is 39 and our sweet dog is over the rainbow bridge many years. It goes fast! Enjoy those children

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little Sammi girl just cracks.me.up! of course that's because I'm no where near the mayhem that seems to follow her around. Hang in there Mama! I don't comment often but I do read your blog regularly. Merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh, Sammi.....what will she do next?

    Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family, Sarah!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks lovely!!
    The decorations only have to last one more day :)

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?