Sunday, June 08, 2014

New cabinet for the foyer

One of my favorite parts of facebook is being able to connect with family I was not in contact with for many years.  Occasionally I like to share some of the old family photos I have kicking around on there.  One day while hunting for a specific photo I got the brilliant (cough) idea to organize those photos into albums instead of a random box. 

It's always like giving a mouse a cookie with me - putting those photos in albums meant finding a place to store all those.

The best climate controlled option I could come up with was the foyer. I had a gate leg table in there that the seasonal tree was sitting on so the hunt was on for something with storage. I needed something of a very specific size to fit in the space. I spent a month searching craigslist, garage sales, etc. and then one day we drove by this tiny flower shop and I saw this piece sitting on the porch.

I knew immediately (without measuring!) it was the perfect size.

Honestly the color was fine, but it was a wreck. Full of spiders, the back legs were unevenly rotted off from being outside, the top had been used as a cutting board...
and it had this on the sides.
It started as a dresser at some point. It had dresser rails but no drawers and was rickety as all get out since there was no bottom. BUT, it really was the *perfect* size.

Dave fixed it up for me. He added a shelf and a bottom, he cut the back legs off evenly and added casters so they are the same height as the front legs.
I slapped two coats of blue paint on it and some glass knobs.  The doors are still uneven (we thought they would even up more once it was shored up), but, it works perfectly to hold a BUNCH of photo albums.
All in one place instead of spread all over the house!

Now I just need to decide if I want to put some wallpaper in the door insets or not.

What can I paint next? Because paint is M A G I C. (Actually I am trying to hire a painter to paint the pink bathroom, bwhahaha.)

2 comments:

  1. Paint IS magic! Years ago I brought home a "Mediterranean"-style end table that was in pretty horrible shape. 10 bucks, how could I pass it up? Took it apart, scrubbed it, painted it with a few coats of pale wheat colored enamel, screwed in some ceramic ball drawer pulls and I had the prettiest little nightstand you ever saw. I still remember the look on my husband's face when he saw me unloading the wreck from the back of our truck. But he was impressed with the finished product. The nightstand is still in use; though the drawers are a bit off for opening and closing, that is all part of its character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you for being able to see beauty and potential in imperfection! It's darn cute.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?