Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pastel saw tooth stars quilt

Quilt finish number two for me this is my pastel star tooth stars.  Originally I was going to have every block a star block, but this bugger was gobbling up yards and yards of fabrics I couldn't get anymore of, so alternating blocks it is.

I am pretty pleased with it. I can tell that my skills improve with each quilt.  I wanted a border on this one so the stars weren't at the edge, but when I had the top done it was *exactly* the same size as my batting, so I just left it. (The dark area is my shadow, heh.)

I love the low volume green stars in place of a plain white.

BUT! As I was taking these photos I noticed this. YUCK!  Some of the white is yellowed and some is super bright white.

What on earth? Ideas? HELP!

I did not prewash my fabrics. Cotton batting. Basted with 505. Washed in cold water on the hand wash cycle with a free and clear detergent. No fabric softeners or anything else.

I am washing it again in warm water, but what a serious bummer it will be if I cannot figure out 1) what caused it and 2) cannot get it out.

4 comments:

  1. Soak in Oyxiclean, one cup, for days. It will not hurt the colors (I use it on vintage linens). It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's weird. I've never had any problems with 505 so I'm not sure that it's the culprit, wonder if there is some dye transfer that settled there or something that was in the batting? I would suggest soaking, I've never had luck with the Oxy products but Zout works good for me. But maybe it will fade with washings and use, so sorry. It might just get yucked up in use as many things have here, and that will just add to the love factor. Like they love it and use it. And that's what quilts are for! (yeah, I know I hate it when this kind of things happen but I just try and make the best of it. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:27 AM

    Vintage Soak.......follow directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt. It turned out beautiful. I have no advice about the yellowing, except maybe a few days in the sun.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?