Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Flea Market Sundays, the sparking joy edition

As most you know by now, I have fallen victim to the internet sensation of The life-changing magic of tidying up.

As a result, a metric ton of stuff from our house has gone to the goodwill.

And it feels AMAZING. The house is tidy, the children are helping and life in general is much calmer.

As one deposits said metric ton of stuff at the goodwill, one has loads of time to ponder what "sparks joy?"

It turns out a lot of things that had been collected did not, indeed, spark joy.

But the quilts? Still a heart stopper.

I wish I had chosen to take these photos inside instead of the purple afternoon light outside.

I stalked this pile of quilts rather incessantly until the seller finally showed back up to sell them to me. And then I bought them all.

I actually bought the grandmother's flower garden to sell, but we shall see if I can do that or not.

The postage stamps on the second ones are barely an inch!  What an amazing thing some quilters are able to do.



 Can you even?!?!?! Look at how many one inch squares that is!

 I think these two were a matched set at one time. The first one has been finished differently, with a green back and a different binding and is in worse shape.  This one she appears to have run out of the nile green and used a lighter green in that lighter section.

 
Also happening around here -
There was a bit of a scary incident with Jack this week. I was sewing on a quilt binding and it kept getting later and later and I noticed he had not come home from school. I called the bus garage (thinking the bus had mechanical trouble and was delayed), who said all the kids were already dropped off. The next thing you know phones are ringing all over town, the bus is being searched, and I am in absolute panic.  It turned out he stayed after school for an activity.  But, part of Jack's difficulties are with that kind of language and the child never thought to tell anyone he should call his mother and let me know he was not coming home on the bus.  I marched all the children into school and had a talk with the principal, who had the counselor call me the next day. So, at least Jack is back on their radar. We are having some other difficulties with the middle school transition (nothing that was more than irritating), but this was a serious safety issue! I think the only time Jack realized what a serious problem this was when I started to cry. Yikes.  It's hard to know when to discuss these things, because his peer group is now obviously all over the internet, but yea, that's what this week has been like.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, how completely scary and a mom's worse nightmare! Thank goodness Jack was OK! The quilts are amazing, never, ever do quilts like that show up at our Flea Markets - just a little bit jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, how completely scary and a mom's worse nightmare! Thank goodness Jack was OK! The quilts are amazing, never, ever do quilts like that show up at our Flea Markets - just a little bit jealous here!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?