Thursday, November 05, 2015

Autumn maple leaf quilt

Woohoo! Another quilt finish for me.

I saw a maple leaf quilt on Instagram and couldn't start one of my own fast enough. There were several delays waiting on the polka dot field fabric, but otherwise this is all from my stash. (I'm working on using some of it up. So I can buy new fabric of course!)



Quilting on the diagonal was a bit challenging at first, but Pam helped me sort it out (also on Instagram.) 

It's left the end product sort of weirdly stretchy though, and I am not sure how I feel about that.

 I have run out of bamboo batting and had to use cotton. As it turns out bamboo is my favorite. I didn't actually know that until this quilt came out of the dryer. It's much lighter and makes for a thinner quilt, more like my beloved vintage quilts. 

Choosing the binding took a whole day. Partially because it had to work with the fabric on the back and partially because I added the unplanned orange border. Adding a print to the back made this all more complicated. It was a good stash buster, but not sure that's in my long range quilting plans again any time soon.


So, what now brown cow? I actually do NOT have another quilt in the works.

I'm thinking I might make a Christmas tree skirt, which is a good sit on my ass and hand sew project. Things are just so.busy. here all of the time. It's starting to wear on me a bit. 

Speaking of busy - the etsy shop will be permanently closing by thanksgiving.

 Buy it now, because out it all goes soon!


5 comments:

  1. I love how it turned out, Sarah. The oranges, browns and turquoise are a beautiful combination. Curious, what is the finished size? I made so many throws and wall hangings, I think I may go back to making bed quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love it!! I think the different sizes of leaves make this quilt so interesting. Great job with the colors. You have a really good eye!
    --sarabeth, surrounded by beautiful leaves right now in Boston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors of your latest quilt! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors of your latest quilt! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?