Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Quilting and revelations

This is my current quilt. It's from a book called scrap basket (or something like that). It's a pain in my ass if we are being honest.

The cutting was ridiculous. It uses a jelly roll which is messy and makes a super small quilt which is still a ton of work.


I like to listen to podcasts while I sew to drown out the children. Yesterday I was listening to the crafty planner's interview with Anna Maria Horner. As they were discussing teaching students at craft south (sorry for the lack of links, it's not so easy to do on the iPad) Anna mentioned that she sees two types of sewers. One who jumps right in with no regard for technique and can end up frustrated with the product and one who focuses very heavily on technique. I realized while listening to this I am the first type.

That's maybe not a revelation but what is a revelation is that as my interest in this quilting thing has moved from "oh that's fun to do" to "whoa I need real tools to do this" is that my frustration level has increased.

I am equipping myself with serious tools - design boards, batting by the bolt, an expensive iron, a bernina to sew on. But  trying to use other people's patterns leaves me ripping my hair out! I'm never satisfied with their quilt results. If I sit down with an idea, draw it, dream it, plan it and then execute it I certainly have bumps along the way. I make mistakes but I find it easier to overcome them And I find myself much happier with the end product. In fact, I can't think of a single "pattern " quilt I've made that I really was crazy about.

I think there is a lot of truth about my personality in many ways in that light bulb moment. It also happens to speak loads to me about Jack. 

I've already bought fabric to try one more pattern, but then I think I'm going to focus on jumping right in again and finding my own path.

Patterns be damned.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I have to say I think that quilt looks beautiful! even if you are finding it frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?