The first weekend in May I bought this:
This week, I turned it into this :
Pillows are oddly hard to photograph, lumpy things. I ended up doing a zig zag over a raw edge appliqué, because no way could I do that cat shape with needle turn. I wanted edging, but not piping so I used ric rac. I've never used it that way before and next time I won't try it without some zipper tape to hold it in place. It's backed with a super fluffy chenille.
The white ric rac is an emergency fix. It turns out that original blue fabric was not strong enough to withstand stuffing (eek! ), so I needed a bit of a cover up.
Despite a few hiccups, I'm happy it's not sitting around as a Ufo for another 70 years! I'm sure Sammi will enjoy her on her bed.