Friday, December 15, 2006

The family jewels


| View Show | Create Your Own

Hey, it works, how cool!

I remember when my love affair with vintage ornaments began. We had just moved to Florida in January of 2000, and I saw a show on HGTV where these 2 men had a HUGE christmas tree that was dripping with 14,000 vintage ornaments. I am not quite to 14,000 yet, but, I have a lot of them.

The trees are both vintage, covered with 100 multicolored lights per foot of tree, and they just glow and sparkle at night. I have a pretty good system for securing them (we screw them down to a table or a heavy wooden box, then each ornament is individually wired onto the branches), and with 3 cats and one two year old, I have never lost an ornament to anyone but myself yet.

Anyway, I will let the trees themselves do the rest of the talking. Please let me know if you have problems with the slideshows. Happy Holidays!


| View Show | Create Your Own

P.S. After reading Heidi's comment, I realized I should have mentioned where they all came from. The majority of them are from flea markets. I used to be able to buy them on ebay, but the price in the last 4 years has been way too high. I also occasionally find them thrifting, garage saling, and for some of the more special ones, I will pay antique mall prices. (The naked santa is new though.) I am pretty lucky though, because my husband is willing to travel to flea market, so, we have been to flea markets all over the place.

P.P.S. Does anyone actually know what the name of that show was? I would love to know so I could try and find a copy of it.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, that's nifty! I have seen that exact HGTV show you are talking about. Those guys with all the ornaments...whoa. I wish they'd rerun that show, it was cool. Have you found all your ornaments & garland while thrifting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - love the slideshows!! And the ornaments, of course - awesome collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Beautiful trees. I love vintage ornaments, but am too afraid to use any with my girls and the animals in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe the prices on ebay now for these/ All of mine are from thrift stores these days. I love how they all look on the white tree, it really makes the colours pop. I now want a white tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you don't know me - it takes me 4 links just to get here... but I LOVE your pictures of all the crafts you make and the treasures you transform. Everything is so beautiful and festive! Keep the pics coming - it all looks great.
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How delicious ! Next Christmas I need to do a vintage Christmas swap with you and send you some lovely german pinkness I don't use!
    A slide show ,oooo, gotta figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your tree is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tree is incredible! What a collection! I love vintage ornaments, but I'm so afraid I'll break them! Yours is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what fun! I love the videos and I like being able to look at the whole trees and then closeups. They look neat!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?