Monday, March 23, 2009

I've come a long way baby

I bought myself this cute little kitchen table when we lived in Florida. I was childless then, but I did have the cats. I knew they would want to scratch the heck out of the rattan stuff on the back of the chairs, so I made slipcovers for the chairs immediately.
I don't know exactly why, but I remember that these slipcovers were HARD for me to make. Something about figuring out that scalloped edge.

Fast forward 10 years and Jack has managed to kick BIG holes in the backs of the chairs with his little feet! And my old slipcovers are by now horribly stained and ripping to shreds.
I noticed when I redid all the fabric in the sewing room that I had a huge tub full of embroidered linens in there for cutting apart.

I used odd tablecloths, pillowcases, and dishtowels to sew myself new slipcovers.
Except this time the project was a no brainer and took me all of 30 minutes max to make them all.

The sewing machine and I have clearly come a long way baby.

Now I just need to figure out how to repair the chairs, since I am not likely to part with my sweet old table that is the *perfect* size for all those tablecloths...

15 comments:

  1. Those are really cute! Wonder if you could knock/cut out the rattan part and replace it with like a piece of plywood or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute. I love how much work went in to those old pillowcases and such - great way to showcase the work too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you have!! Slips are a great idea!!No ideas on the chair repairs. Keep the table and look for more chairs maybe, does not all have to match. These seem to be working for now though with Jack so keep doing what you are doing!! At least til he is big enough to rock back in them...my prob with our boys!!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are super cute. I just framed a bunch of old embroidered tea towels to hang in my kitchen. I held onto them for the cuteness, but I would never actually use them. I adore them framed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowie! I like the slip covers a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! And a really nice way to show off that pretty embroidery. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute idea! and i'm totally drooling over the quiltage in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this idea! Great way to repurpose! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exceptional. Of course, I'm trying to peek around behind those chairs to look at All. Those. Quilts. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are so cute! I have wanted to do something like that for some of my ladder back chairs. too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, i'm in love with the kitten on the chair stitchery! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute idea! Love the table and chairs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh Sarah everything at your house is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your new slipcovers! especially that kitty one.
    on the chairs, you could knock out the rattan and fill the gap with putty, then just sand and paint

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?