Monday, September 08, 2008

Creeping in

The Halloween decorations are starting to slowly creep in around here. (Much too slow for Jack's taste. He is still reminding me every day that all the other places have their Halloween out and we do not*.) When he and I had gone to Michaels to check out the Martha Halloween stuff, I fell in love with these stickers . They instantly screamed garland to me.
At first I thought I would just hole punch them and hang them up, but I can never just stop there. So I added the crepe paper rosettes from some old crepe paper streamers I have kicking around.
Of course, I couldn't stop there either. So it was on to the glittering. (Which was most labor intensive. Making a teeny tiny line of glitter around the edge of a paper ruffle requires nerves of steel.)
Then it took me another 3 days to work out how to hang it up. I had already punched holes in the stickers before I really thought this project through. At some point in the middle of the night it occurred to me to use those tiny scrapbooking brads through the holes and then punch the brads onto some old seam binding. It worked like a charm.

And most importantly, I actually finished something.

I have been trying to finish glitter a pumpkin for about 5 days. Sigh.

*I cannot seem to make any headway on anything this year. All I do is cook and clean, clean and cook and try to wrangle Jack through this most difficult period for both him and I. Sometimes I wonder if it is all in my head, how hard it seems this year. To make myself feel better (really worse), I went back and looked at the last 3 months in 2007 and the last 3 months in 2008. In 2007 I managed to make 14 crafts from June through August. In 2008? 5 if I am generous and count things I made with Jack.

I was reading Amanda's book a few months back, and the beginning really reasonated with me about the NEED to create once you have a child. (Not that some folks do not have that without a child, but when Jack arrived that is when it really started for me.) I have mentioned this before, but making things gives me a sense of true completion that mothering and housekeeping do not. I can start something and I can finish something. It won't be messy again in an hour, it won't need me again in 10 minutes.

My mental health is starting to suffer from the genuine lack of time to myself to do that this year.

Anyway, that's a lot more than I intended to go on about when I sat down to post this morning. LOL

25 comments:

  1. Your garland is amazing! I can't believe that you glittered all of those edges. I could never, ever do that.

    I've been struggling with the not creating bit myself. I think the answer for me is going to be actually paying for lessons(spinning) and forcing myself out of the house by myself on a consistent basis. I need some external motivation, and some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I remember those days when I didn't get much time to myself. I would actually stay up and paint or cross stitch after my kids went to bed just to have "my time". I don't know if I made anything of quality back then but I tried. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love, love the garland! Too cute! And I'm so with you on not getting things done craftwise that I want. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Seriously, wow. That is amazing.
    I can totally relate on not getting what you want to do done. It's so challenging when the little ones are, well, little. The time passes so quickly I feel guilty stealing some of it for myself, but at the same time, if I don't I go slightly insane. Maybe more than slightly. It's such a hard balance. I just don't know if I can put it off for that much longer!
    Thank you so much for the comment on Kiddio. I so appreciate your stopping it...since it led me to your neat blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the garland!
    About finding time to craft: have you ever read this post by Amanda: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2006/10/patiently_knitt.html ?
    I have it printed out to remember me how crafting can be part of your life, without being as productive as I would like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garland and admire your nerves of steel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garland turned out super cute, I am dieing to get out the halloween decorations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooo cute Sarah!!! I bought those stickers the other day and didn't know what to do with them -- you've found the PERFECT solution. Thanks for your inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that garland! Some of thoise Martha Halloween things are just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm getting ready to jump off the "tired, not enough time to do anything non-work or non-child related" bandwagon myself. Sorry to hear that things are much the same with you. For what it is worth, you are still creating things that I only dream about making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am LOVING this garland!!! SO COOL!!!

    Kristin
    ~Reclaiming The Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah,
    That garland is awesome! You really did a fantastic job.

    Don't beat yourself up about not finishing things. It's not just mothers with little ones who hit the wall. I now have my 85 year old mother living with me. I have only just started getting back to my projects that I put away the end of May.

    We are here for you and we TOTALLY understand. Just go with the flow and you will find your rhythm.

    Hugs!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think my mental health is suffering for the same reasons.

    and that is ONE AWESOME AMAZING ACCOMPLISHMENT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. barbara4:22 PM

    Love the garland. I think you get quite a bit done for someone with a 3-year-old. Gardening was my big passion when my kids were that age, and no matter how much I got done, I always felt so rushed it wasn't very satisfying. It will get better ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that is so cool - those look really great, I can be a sticker hoarder, but this would be a fun way to use some, then I can keep the stickers as decorations! Hurrah! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is an award waiting for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great garland. I've had this old black and orange crepe paper that's been waiting for the right project. This could be it. Just wondering, did you glitter the crepe paper before you made them into pinwheels or after?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This garland is amazing! Love that fine glitter job. Just perfect. I would have to sit on the couch and just gaze...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Creation is essential to every human being I think. That garland is absolutely darling. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That garland is gorgeous - we don't decorate for Halloween much over here in the UK but I know it is huge in the US. Hang in there with the creating - have you got an ideas book where you can write down the things you want to do? I have one and it's great as I don't have as much time to create as I like but I can still get the ideas written down to do later - when that later is I have no idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant Sarah, of course !!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jennifer7:20 PM

    Preaching to the choir, sister! These days I can't even finish a basic cooking and cleaning task before a disaster strikes...

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the garland.
    i feel the same way about creating...it came for me after i had kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh it turned out so pretty! i need to make a garland for my mantel. thank you for the inspiration. i am the same way, i need my creative time/projects or i go crazy, literally. i wish you luck on your craziness. try to make a little each day, even if for 15 min. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooo Sarah, this is gorgeous! I might have to be a copy cat! And when I glitter the edges of pinwheels I dip them in a puddle of glue and then a puddle of glitter. LAZY lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?