Friday, September 26, 2008

Feedsack Friday, version 2

I am pretty sure that at this point you have all seen every feedsack I have managed to scrounge up except for one. And that one is missing. (That seems to be a recurring theme this week, eh? Jack has clearly been the number one priority in a BIG way lately.)

There are the daisies I found in a thrift sometime this summer. I think. LOL
And the wild flowers I found last year on the 127 sale somewhere in KY.
But perhaps the most interesting one in the collection is the flour sack from a local grocery store that still has it's label intact.
The label is crepe paper and dated 1959.

I know a lot of folks think of feedsacks as a 1920/1930 phenomenon, but I am pretty sure that if you google you will find that they were still in use through the 1960s.

Other feedsack fun:
This feedsack book has been on my wish list for nearly a year. It's gorgeous eye candy if you love feedsack quilts. (I've flipped through it at a local quilt shop.) And if I had a million dollars this feedsack collector book would be on my book shelf also.

I tried once this summer to go see Kit Kittredge when it was in the theater so I could see the 1930's fabrics on the big screen, but I was thwarted. I am still waiting for it on DVD to further feed my vintage fabric addiction. LOL

And don't forget to go so see Barbara who is showing her gorgeous finds and has a link to other feedsack love for today.

As for me, I have a new treasure I need to go start cleaning up and a mystery quilt I need to get sorted out so I can share it with you before quilt month is over.

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. barbara10:17 AM

    These are great. I like the print on the one with the label, too. I clicked on the book links - hmmm. I really want them. But I spent all my money on feedsacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw that you made it on to whipup.net. That's pretty cool. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well feedsacks are one of my favorite kinds of fabrics - I love them. And the ones you have in such pristine condition - wowie. Love them. I have both of those books. I love them. Ok now to see Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great prints!
    I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those books, too.

    Have you seen the feedsack pool on flickr, yet? There's some good eye candy. LOL

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what are you going to do with your feedsacks? Turn them into a quilt, collect and display?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, we don't and have never had feed sacks over here. My grandma used to bleach flour sacks though and make pillowcases from them.
    Love the prints that you have

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love feedstack fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love the sack with the label still on it-so neat!

    Loved your Halloween trees too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?