Monday, February 25, 2008

Embarrassed

When I joined the coaster swap at Ibby Bee , I imagined that I had all the time in the world to complete what should have been a super easy project, making 4 little fabric coasters.

And yet, somehow, it turned into a real challenge. I am almost embarrassed to tell you how long it actually took for me to complete those 4 little coasters, how much time I spent ripping out stitches (it's well into the hours range), and how many versions I went through before settling on this one.
I thrifted this darling vintage calico linen ages ago, and have been saving it, afraid to cut into it. It's perfect for this project, and everything was going along smoothly until my husband informed me that my computer died*. The blue screen of death. Many, many embarrassing tears were shed over the loss of several months worth of Jack photos (including Christmas morning), all of my links in my favorites list and more.

I should have stopped sewing right then.

But oh no, I didn't. I kept at it, because I was already late for the deadline.

Then I got the brilliant idea to use this perfect vintage trim and it was all downhill from there. Am I the only one who is prone to throwing fabric when I am sewing and it isn't going well?
In the end, I think they are super cute. But I am glad they are done. LOL

Jack wanted to help me take pictures. He is getting pretty good with his birthday camera, he can make his own movies even!
Here is his coaster shot. Not too shabby, eh?
I am also embarrassingly late in showing you the last Valentine from the Valentine swap. This one was made by Jenn at Crafty Mom . So cute!

*My husband was actually able to make the computer reboot somehow. It took forever, and it was scary, but the pictures are saved. It made me feel even more embarrassed about the crying.

28 comments:

  1. Don't feel embarrassed! I would have done the same thing! Pictures are gold! We lost everything on our computers twice. That's when I joined Flickr. Luckily, Best Buy was able to recover most of our files. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet coasters and little Jack. I know what you mean about the crying.Sometimes you just can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...do not be embarassed! Life happens, plus these came out so super sweet! Your partner is going to be very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love those coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah & Jack. . .Indeed a fellow St. Louisan! Show Me crafters unite! Thanks for checking out the cabin. ERB

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coasters look fabulous. It is so annoying when things take longer than we think and also when they are harder to do than we thought.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute coasters! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I love the trim, I actually have some very similar that I picked up at thrift some time back. Mine is more of a rick rack, though. I'll have to pop some in the mail to you. :)

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look great - so cute! And no you are not the only one who throws fabric when frustrated while sewing.

    And you are reminding me that I really need to suck it up and purchase an external hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The coasters are SO cute!

    You're not alone in your fabric throwing. Mine is usually directed at the trash can, only to be retreived later. Hubby knows that when the seam ripper comes out, there's some sewing drama going on and it's better to stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your coasters are wonderful! and so glad that you photos aren't gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not embarrasing at all! I would've cried too had I thought I lost a bunch of pictures. The coasters turned out so cute! :) And, that little valentine tag is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. busThe coasters are terrific. No one would know by looking at them that they were a trial to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have, and have, thrown a fit myself :) I also throw fabric when things aren't going right in the sewing room! lol! Those coasters are adorable! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those coasters are darling!!!!
    So sorry about the computer crashing. I went thru it once. Now I back up my files especially my pictures.
    Look at that, Jack is pretty good with his camera.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those coasters are adorable! I always had to hear crashing computer stories -- I'm woefully behind in backups too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gos that sounds like a tough day! I'm so glad to hear that your husband manage to fix the computer, and save the pictures of Jack!! (I did'nt and all the pictures from out honeymoon was lost...I learnt to have backup after that tough;-)) The coaster are adorable!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those coasters ARE super cute. Sometimes the frustration and fit throwing at my sewing machine are embarrasing as well. I think any Mama would have cried over the loss of those baby pictures. Glad all is well and hubby got it all back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are so cute! Computers make me cry too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think that you should feel embarrassed I think that I would cry for a week if I lost my photos, they are so important to us they are special moments that we can never get back again.
    The coasters look wonderful.
    Cheers Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad that the computer was resurrected, and that the pictures were spared... I know that was an icky feeling.

    It's also icky when the crafts aren't going as easily as we want. But for all the extra work, the coasters were worth it - they're darling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vicki@hollyhocks.typepad.com8:19 AM

    Jack's photo is as good as any of mine!!! I love seeing that red head!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So--after all is said and done; it's all good! :-) Darling coasters Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I might be prone to throwing fabric too when my sewing isn't working :) The coasters turned out very lovely! I think your swap partner is going to love those!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary Jane11:51 AM

    It was worth all the trouble the coasters are beautiful. They look like something from my granny's house. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the coasters - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad to hear that you were able to recover your pictures. We do lots weekly backups on our computer - I don't know how, it's my husband, the computer guru, who does them. But, losing everything is scary.

    Those coasters are sooo cute. They turned out adorable - clever too with the "Eat Drink Be Merry" phrase split up between the coasters. And Jack took a pretty impressive photo - better than alot of mine. He's a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whenever I get a little "moody" I just chalk it up to having an artist's temperament. We can't have help but to be a little high strung, us crafty types.
    I'm so glad your photos were recovered! My photos are my life- I would run into a burning house for my pictures. Or at least send my husband back in... :0)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?