Friday, February 29, 2008

Leaping for joy

Hello Leap Day. I've been waiting all month for you. Goodbye February. I will not miss you.

It's actually warm here today (before the snow flies again on Monday), and this morning in the car Jack said to me "See, I told you the sun would come out again." Oh son, I could not be happier to see that sun, even though you meant something totally different. (He has been waking up super early again, and when I tell him to get back in bed he insists the sun is coming any minute now.)

Other reasons to leap for joy today:
After more than 10 years of hunting and hoping and bidding, I finally have a grandmother's flower garden quilt for my collection.

I almost cannot believe it is mine.
And it is even better than the other ones I have bid on in the past. It is the perfect green and pink with tiny 1930's prints.

And the price, oh man the price. Only $30 bucks plus shipping on Ebay. I know, it's shocking. It was meant to be mine.
I picked up this gorgeous aqua vase at the thrift this morning. It was priced what I think of as crazy high for a thrift store ($15), but man, I love it. I need to get to Costco and buy myself some flowers to put in it.
My husband says he is going to build us a tear drop trailer for camping in. I am cool with that, particularly because then I have a little trailer to use treasures like this vintage feather duvet in. It's covered in roses, and although the thrift store has totally lost their pricing minds ($14 this time), I kept going back to it over and over again.
About 2 weeks ago we moved Jack to a "big boy bed". I expected a struggle. Sleeping, and more importantly *where* to sleep, has always been a battle with Jack. I was totally wrong. He loves it. There is significantly less arguing about going to bed, and he has slept in it since the very first night we bought the mattress without looking back at the toddler bed once. (Now the crib on the other hand, he still asks about that.)

We bought the bed itself ages ago at the flea market, and it is so cute in there. I still need to fiddle with that darn dust ruffle, and his room IS changing colors this month or next (I am thinking khaki).

With any luck I will be at the flea market this Sunday. Oh, I cannot wait. I am dreaming of it already.

And one more reason to leap for joy, I finally finished year 1 and year 2 of my MMJ (aka the Misadventures of Mama & Jack) Blurb books. I will be sure to share them when they arrive and give you the lowdown on the process, but for now let's just say it was really hard and I am not looking forward to completing year 3. (Well, aside from the fact that I love digging around in my blog archives. It's so awesome to see Jack grow, to read the little things I've noted and just basically see my life in pretty pictures.)

There is a gorgeous new piece of pottery, a close up of the duvet and a few other new photos on Flickr.

Happy Friday everyone!

28 comments:

  1. Lovely finds. It's too bad some thrift stores price so high. :(

    I'm so happy to hear about Jack's easy transition into his big boy bed! Whew. And, it's so cute that he still wants his crib. :D

    Ohhhh boys and worms...very interesting combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!! I knew you would find some fabulous grandmother's garden quilt sometime. It is suprising how popular they have become lately--the price has really sky rocketed on ebay. $30 is a stellar price for this wonder. Gorgeous 30's fabric, the condition, man what a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That grandmother's flower quilt is fantastic. You're so lucky! And I really love that vase. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that quilt is fantastic, for such a fantastic price! yay for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is gorgeous! And imagine all the work that went into it. A true labor of love. :)

    And I will steal that feather duvet so you probably shouldn't invite me over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many great things - I'm so glad things are going well! And that quilt is AMAZING! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love, love, love the vase! I agree those are some crazy thrift store prices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The big kid bed. Oh, how we'll have to do this soon. It's just so nice to know there is one place in the house she cannot get into trouble in.

    Can't wait to hear about Blurb. I've been thinking of doing that. Everyone says it is easy. But?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my dream quilt in my dream coloration. I'll start watching ebay now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that bed! And, the quilt! It's beautiful. I love those colors. And, the vase and feather comforter are so pretty. Man, looks like you had luck on your side with those treasures. :) I'm itching to hit up some second hand and antique stores, myself. I haven't been in awhile.

    Always a disappointment when things are overpriced at the thrift stores! But, sometimes you just can't pass them up when they're something you love. Never know when/or if you might find something like that again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is AMAZING! Seriously amazing. I'm so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No words, mouth agape! What a STEAL for that quilt, and the duvet!! Wow.

    I *just* finished painting the girls' room last night. Same exact color as Jack's. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am drooling over that feather bed !!!!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Sarah. That quilt is gorgeous! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. vicki@hollyhocks.typepad.com6:19 PM

    I love everything, but that quilt is a treasure. You should curl up under it and dream of spring for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you TOTALLY scored with that quilt. and at an amazing price. I got something like it--as in old quilt --while I was in North carolina but with another decimal added on and I thought I was lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thrift finds! I love that vase!
    I remember the day when we moved my son into a big boy bed. I was more excited about it than him, but he did fine.
    That's great he likes it with no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our thrift stores are always expensive compared to what I see online on other blogs. I guess the popularity of thrifting has grown and with it the prices?

    I am currently making a family cookbook on blurb. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... Great find on ebay!!! I love that quilt and only $30, BARGIN!!! I bought 2 old beds like the one in the pic from a clearing sale 3 weeks ago for $6 each, now that's a bargin too... Can't wait to see what you score at the flea markets this weekend.

    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you, what a great quilt! And YAY for warm weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love, love, LOVE that flower quilt. The color combinations...just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yay on the quilt! That certainly WAS a good deal! And I'd have easily given $15 for the vase. LOVE it, too! Hope you have a great day at the flea market tomorrow~~:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sarah- isn't it the best when you finally find the very thing you were looking for?? Score! And tha vase...the color looks great with the quilt (at least on my monitor). Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely finds...Lucky lucky you. So cute to see your chaps bedroom, its a bog thing the big bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous finds! The colors are soooo beautiful! The aqua vase is super gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My thrift store has gone price wild lately, also. I buy fewer and fewer things. The quilts are magnificent - really.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow -- that GFG quilt is awesome -- great catch! Can't wait to hear about your blurb book process. I didn't mind the process using pictures, but I suspect doing a blog is a lot more work. I'd really like to do it though, so please post why it was so hard, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yea! You got your quilt! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?