Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Food for thought

I was reading an old issue of Martha Stewart Baby this week, the last line in the letter from Martha reads, "Be sure to master the art of 'recording.' It's definitely worth the effort."

Oddly enough, I had just been thinking about that very topic when I was reflecting on this little blog. When I started blogging, it was all Jack, all the time. But Jack is no longer my helpless little baby bird and I have regained more personal space and time, and with that my blog has changed. There is time to do things for myself and time to record those things here. Of course I am still recording Jack here as well, but I am becoming more and more aware that my "audience" here is very different than it used to be.
I have thought of splitting the two subjects up, moving myself to a different blog and leaving Jack's recording here. But, the reality is that everything I do still involves Jack, even if indirectly. Whether he is sitting on the sewing room floor playing with fabric scraps while I am furiously trying to finish a project, or whether he is with me at the thrift store, we are still 100% Mama and Jack.

In the end, I am proud of myself for keeping up with my little blog for I truly feel like I am mastering the art of recording our life together. We can sit down together and page through the photos album or look at the blog and see the record of not only the first time he sat up or his first steps, but the little things too. Like the joy of the sandbox, the sunlight in his hair or our feet side by side on the kitchen floor.

And we do that, nearly every day together, because right now he loves hearing about and looking at the story of his life, the story of "our" life. Has it been worth the effort?

For once Martha and I agree, it is definitely worth the effort.


And with that, we are off to Chicago. I will take plenty of photos and see you all next week!

19 comments:

  1. i feel the same way. my family and my creativity are always intermixed. i'm so happy i have happened onto your little piece of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said. I like the crafty mix of family and creativity. My blog was going to be just about teaching. But my life is so much more than just the school which is an unescapable part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. autum4:22 AM

    I love this post! So well said. I wish I had a blog when my children were small. Have you thought about having it printed in book form?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right on, so much of my own creativity is a direct result of my children. Either for them, with them, or an escape from the chaos...yes blessed chaos because of them.

    You have a great little blog and I too am glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ask and answer important questions. Just who do I write this blog for and whats it all about? Its great that you've been able to record so many memories that you can look back on with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this post. I think you are right to keep recording what you do on this blog. You will always be a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Have a safe and happy trip and I can't wait to see what you come home with.

    xoxoxoxo

    and some for Jack, too xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah remember your blog is your world, you get to do what you want. I love reading about Jack. I miss those years and like to hear about them. I wish I had, had a blog when the girls were little to record all that time. Have a fun week. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'm meeting so many new and lovely women and finding their blogs. :-)

    And as to how you blog, it's my humble opinion that we each should blog, for ourselves. And as we wish to.

    Sometimes we may want a different form of on-line-journaling. And that's normal too. And easily done. This "Pretty Blog" of mine, is not my only form of on-line-journaling. But I keep them separate. Because that feels good to/for me, now.

    Yeaaaaaaa for doing our on-line-journaling, for ourselves!

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it's necessary to separate your blogs, becaue Jack is so much of your life, the lines are always going to be intertwined and he (and you) will always enjoy looking back on your journey together. I was going to mention that there are sites available to print your blog in book format that really arent' that expensive.


    The link I saved as I was thinking about doing just that when my year anniversary:

    http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post :) Have fun in Chicago!

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes it is worth the effort and it is such a joy for us to observe even from this far away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely thoughts Sarah.

    Have a safe and fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabu post! Have a wonderful trip!

    LA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have A grat trip,I agree. Our little sites,are most definitely part chronicles of our life and times!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post too! I feel like I'm documenting my whole life and not just a small part. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you've been "tagged". please see my blog for info =) have fun! debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah,
    Can you email me regarding the swap? I can't find your email address!
    Thanks!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great post. I prefer blogs that are a glimpse into a whole life,not just one small aspect. Though I love a craft blog, it generally isn't as interesting to me unless I get to see the life of the person creating the pretty things, because it puts them into a context I can relate to.

    Plus, I have to admit that when people have more than one blog I tend to only visit one. I am always forgetting to look elsewhere.

    Part of the coolness of blogging is seeing how you unfold in it. How your subjects change. How you start to rearrange it. Let it develop exactly as you want it to.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?