Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I finally made something.

I recently signed Jack up for a toddler book exchange and after browsing through the Winter 2001 issue of Martha Stewart baby, I got the idea to make a texture (or touch and feel) book to go with our purchased books. I used a clearance pile Sponge Bob address book for the base. I am always admiring those altered books the paper crafters make, and despite some challenges, I am very happy with the result.
Here is the new cover, complete with a few vintage ribbons and chipboard glitter letter for the toddler's first initial.
And a peek at a few of the pages. I made 10 pages total. This is a feather chick made with a piece of a feather boa.
And a bubble wrap frog. Jack is totally enthralled with the entire book, but the frog is definitely his favorite.

You can see the entire book, cover to cover, on My Flickr .

26 comments:

  1. What a super idea! The book looks great Sarah, and very creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Very cool. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great! I love altered books. Now I have ANOTHER project to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too cute. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh soo cute. I am saving this idea for down the road grandbabies !! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a genius idea - I know the recipient will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I finally made something"

    Are you kidding me? You're my inspiration! Always crafting up something new. Love the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! so. cute.

    I'm with Rebecca...now I have ANOTHER idea to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. seriously cool, sarah!
    i remember that issue of MSbaby!
    (please make one for jackjack!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so amazing! Very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is very much improved :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! what a great idea. I would have never thought of that. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. kacey (ambies)4:44 PM

    Wow I'm really impressed! It's gorgeous! And now I'm so jealous that Sylvie didn't get Jack as her fairy bunny. :( I really love the book, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a fabulous idea and it turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is adorable! Any toddler would love it - so tactile. My son loved those touch & feel books forever.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just too cute! Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice results on your new project :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never would have thought of making one of these books. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is SO clever! I bet your swap partner's mommy is going to be so impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That book is so well done. Love the cover and bubblewrap frog.

    My daughter would be very upset at you covering the SpongeBob though!! She would prefer the before version.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cool! I love the frog too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I take it back! I'm smitten with the hippo! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! I think any kid will like this, but his/her mom will LOVE it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. melissa4:20 AM

    what a great little book! i love the bubblewrap bit especially. you're so inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely idea! ...and way to cover up such an obnoxious character!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?