Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fresh summer breezes

By now I am sure that plenty of people are thinking "Gee, Sarah hasn't been very crafty lately." And you would be right. It isn't that I don't have projects I want to do; the new pillowcase bag in Martha Stewart Living, magazine files that need covering, a wallet for flea marketing, end of the year teacher gifts, etc.

It's just that summer is coming, and suddenly there seem to be so many more pressing things to do. Soak up some sun, read books, go to the zoo, play in the backyard, mow the lawn, go swimming, plan another big adventure to the World's Longest Yard Sale . (We have been once before.) And, of course, it is high flea marketing/yard saling season. Did I mention I have also been working on something for Etsy? LOL

Busy, busy, busy.
With the summer heat in mind, and the hum of air conditioners already ever present, I have been picking up some gorgeous all white linen runners, napkins and tablecloths. As soon as I get them ironed they are going to replace the quilts on the ladder.

About those teacher gifts, does anyone have any great ideas? I could do gift cards or something like that, but one of Jack's teachers is very ill at the moment, and they both did so much to help Jack adjust to school that I would like to make them something special.

Edited to add: Is anyone here via bloglines this evening? My own feed doesn't seem to be working.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you could make little goodie bags filled with homemade cookies, soothing tea, bath seltzer, homemade sachet..something simple but thoughtful. (Love the white linens:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend that is a teacher really loves getting homemade presents, like cookies and stuff, just like amy said something simple but super thoughtful.

    Also I love your new containers they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the linens idea, they will be so summery.
    Your feed definitely isn't working in bloglines (it's showing an error code), but I stopped by anyway :) It'll probably sort itself out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so want to go to the World's Longest Yard Sale! If only California weren't so far from Tennessee.

    My son's teacher is very outdoorsy. She goes camping and picnicking with her family a lot, so I'm making a picnic blanket and tote bag.

    How about a tote bag filled with summer fun stuff....a good book, sunscreen, ice tea mix, a pair of decorated flip flops?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the linens are lovely! bags work well as teachers gifts for me. i have a tote i can whip out in about an hour that works well. i switched over to google reader and ditched bloglines. i was having too many problems and found google reader to just be a bit easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Teacher gifts, gift cards are great, but I also liked when the moms made baked goods. The end of the year is such a busy time it was nice to be able to share with my family something homebaked. Now, I know some teachers hate this because they don't trust it with germs and all. I have recieved so many gifts and rarely do I save them, so another nice thing is a simple note stating what you appreciate about their teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for ideas for teachers' gifts.

    For Christmas I made tissue pouches and homemade chocolate soap.

    Last year at the end of the school year I gave chocolate and a lavender plant (I think). Maybe that was the year before. I can't remember. (One year I gave s'mores stuff: marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate and weenie roasting sticks.)

    I'm still trying to come up with somethign this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cerri3:45 PM

    OH! I do the Hwy 127 sale every year. What route do you take? Starting and stopping points?
    I have always gone Pikeville TN, to Crossville TN, and last year was a little disappointed in that route. I am thinking of trying a different one this year.
    Do you stop at the individual yard sales, or just do the large group settings?
    ~Cerri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps this is a cop-out,and I'm sure you have already solved this dilemma,but I totally go with Target gift cards or starbucks cards,wrapped like jewels!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?