Wednesday, May 23, 2007

One chapter closes

Today is Jack's last day of school and, for me, it feels like the closing of his first little chapter on schooling. He has come so far from the bad experience at the first school we tried to really enjoying the program he is in now. (Even if he still tells me every Wednesday morning that he "doesn't need to go to school today.") I am sure he is going to miss it for the next 7 weeks until the summer session begins.

I ended up going with notes and gift cards for his teachers. Target has nifty gift cards right now that come with wildflower paper that you can plant, so to continue the flower theme I made each teacher a little vintage button flower pin. It was all I had time for, and to me it honors who Jack is right now, because he still adores those buttons.
I also squeezed in a little applique on one of my tee shirts. The bird doesn't look it, but it is pink, cut out from Simply Shabby sheets from Target, but found at Goodwill (of course). My sewing machine is having some issues with keeping the presser foot attached. I have no idea what that is about, but it was frustrating to deal with while trying to sew on a complicated applique. That'll teach me to try and squeeze in a project!
I thrifted this chandelier this week, also from Target but found at Goodwill. I was a little iffy about it because I am not sure where to put it, but Jack convinced me. "Put that in the cart mama! Put it in there! Right there!" Really he wanted to play with the beads, but who I am to argue with that kind of demand?

The crystals on the bottom are pink, but clearly my camera is not feeling pink today. I really liked it under that big tree and if my, ahem, "neighbors" didn't steal everything I owned, I would have probably made myself a little sitting area with a nice chair and a chandelier under one of our trees.

Oh well, a girl can dream.

17 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I LOVE that chandelier! Jack has very good taste:) My daughter thrifts with me, and she also talks me in to things LOL

    Thanks for sharing!


    Dana
    drooling over Sarah's chandelier in PA.
    d07@goldingers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh - I so wish you would reconsider the outdoors sitting area! I can totally picture it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice chandelier! What a find! And I can see the pink in the bottom crystals.

    I had a thrifted Shabby Chic cotton shower curtain that I made our (Spenser's and mine) Easter outfits from. Love that stuff. Wouldn't pay full price for it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you amaze me with your thrift finds !!!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack does have exquisite taste! You can see the pink when enlarging the picture, very pretty. You get the best deals, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love the chandelier! I also might steal the "outdoor chandelier" Idea... That might be cool on my porch, and I have a fixture I bought at The "land of nod" outlet a couple years back. Maybe I will paint it hot pink... Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously...you thrifted that chandalier! so jealous sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the outdoor idea! Or, maybe over Jacks bed or the "Flower bed." I have always wanted to wake up under a chandelier with the sun reflecting on the crystals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lucky you. Jack has a good eye. I think we have the same "neighbors". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have a thrift store that received Target returns. Too bad that's back in MI.

    I would put that chandelier somewhere out of the ordinary. It'll keep people second guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww, man! And I was gonna go to goodwill tomorrow. Don't you know they put that there for ME?!

    ;-)

    Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the chandelier... I am sure the teachers appreciated your gifts. I have to get thinking about that, school wraps up here in a few weeks. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that Jack had brillant taste, I get the feeling he takes after you!! Those pins are really cute and a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chandelier is gorgeous, no way could you have passed that up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this chandelier! I almost bought it (or one very similar) myself at Target a couple of weeks ago. It was $40, so you got a steal!! Too bad about the neighbours...
    Linda

    By the way, love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon9:07 AM

    I love the shirt! Where did you find the bird pattern that you made the applique out of? I have the hardest time finding good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I love all the pictures and projects. Too bad about the naughty neighbors. An outside room would be so nice right now.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?